Adaptive Program Intern
Salary: $15 per hour
Status: Seasonal; 20hrs per week; non- exempt. Employment May 1 – September, 2023
Hours: Dependent on program schedule; regular weekend work, some evenings
Responsible to: Director of Sports and Volunteers
The Adaptive Program Intern’s primary role is to be an onsite staff contact at Adaptive Sports Connection programs in adaptive recreation. The program intern will spend the majority of time in the field delivering programs but should expect some days in the office to fill out program reports, assist with projects. Programs are held primarily in Powell at the Adaptive Sports Connection Adventure Center but may extend into the greater metro area. Programs vary in activities; such as cycling group rides, kayaking, sailing, waterskiing, special events and outings, and outreach events.
- Be an onsite staff contact at Adaptive Sports Connection Summer activities and programs: cycling group rides, kayaking, sailing, waterskiing, special events and outings, and outreach events, and others as needed.
- Assist in executing programs, event and activity logistics, participant evaluations, volunteer training and supervision.
- Coordinate with the Director of Sports and Volunteers and Event Leader for each event to make sure events run smoothly.
- Provide support to the program office for general office administrative tasks including data entry, filing, processing mail, and maintaining administrative supplies.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with Adaptive Sports Connection community partners.
- Coordinate risk management issues related to programs to ensure that safety remains Adaptive Sports Connections prime goal.
- Assist Program Staff in the maintenance and usage of activity equipment.
- Be a positive representative and promoter of Adaptive Sports Connection programs, events, and activities in our community.
- Comply with Adaptive Sports Connection safety and health policies and procedures.
- Participate fully as a member of the Adaptive Sports Connection staff team; attend staff meetings
- Other duties as identified.
- Experience facilitating group or 1:1 recreation activities. Specific experience in leading and or instruction in kayaking, cycling, sailing or waterskiing preferred.
- Experience working with individuals with disability preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Able to work flexible hours; including regular weekend work.
Get Out Adventures Guides
Salary: $15 per hour
Status: Seasonal; 20hrs per week; non- exempt. Employment May 15 – September 6, 2023
Hours: Friday evenings, full day every Saturday and Sunday, occasional weekday work.
Responsible to: Get Out Adventures Coordinator
Get Out Adventures Guides are responsible for executing the Get Out and Kayak Program safely and efficiently. Staff will check in guests, provide training and safety equipment, provide equipment and boat fittings, dry land training, and on water instruction. Staff are responsible for moving all equipment used for the program and storing it at the end of each program day. Get Out and Kayak runs primarily on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during the summer, with occasional weekday work. Staff may be asked to complete other duties, as assigned. Interviews will be held in late April 2023.
- Instruct customers on how to paddle with a short lesson.
- Provide assistance with gear fitting.
- Answering customer questions directly.
- Acting as a trusted resource that customers can rely on.
- Launching out and retrieving in kayaks.
- Ability to work outdoors.
- Retrieving paddle gear from customers.
- Loading and Unloading gear.
Characteristics of a Strong Candidate
- Outdoor passionate and driven.
- Ability to lead and show confidence in an outdoor environment.
- Charismatic personality and friendly attitude towards others.
- Ability to work with a team and also by yourself at times.
- Understand and learn product knowledge and safety.
- Willingness to learn information and educate customers.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Background in kayaking or paddlesports
- Experience or willingness to work with individuals with disabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
- Able to swim and comfortable around water
- Ability to lift heavy objects (65lbs)
- Ability to work outdoors
- Reliable Transportation
- CPR Certification preferred, but not required